Principals, Dr John Tilleard and Dr Tony Ladson are specialists in hydrology, hydraulics and fluvial geomorphology. They provide local, national and international advice on the management of water, rivers and catchments.
John Tilleard has 40 years national and international consulting, research, specialist and teaching experience including investigation, design and supervision of water resources management projects specialising in river management policy and practice including river restoration, environmental flows and catchment and waterway management. John’s development and international assignments include water related projects in Timor Leste, Papua New Guinea, Indonesia, Philippines, Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Romania, South Africa, USA. John has been a member of Australian Government delegations to Taiwan and South Korea. John has coordinated and taught Masters and Graduate Certificate level courses in Civil Engineering Hydraulics and Catchment and Waterway Management at the University of Melbourne.
John is an experienced Board Director, Proprietor, Manager and Senior Executive in both government and private entities including as Board Member on Urban and Rural Water Authorities and a member of other government committees such as the Victorian Catchment Management Council. John is experienced in institutional arrangements and policy development for environmental management including community involvement and capacity building. John’s full CV is here.
Tony Ladson has 30 years’ experience in hydrology and river management and has worked on projects throughout Australia and in the US, Taiwan and PNG. He has a PhD from the University of Melbourne and a Master of Science from the University of Minnesota. As well as being a Director of Moroka Pty Ltd, he is an adjunct Associate Professor at the Victoria University, an honorary fellow in the Waterway Ecosystem Research Group at the University of Melbourne was previously a senior lecturer and teaching fellow in the Department of Civil Engineering at Monash University. Tony’s full CV is here.
Relevant recent project experience includes:
- Assessment of river related environmental impacts of flow changes from proposed water resources development on the Cache La Poudre River, Colorado, USA (US Army Corps of Engineers, Colorado, USA)
- Advise on impact of environmental flow requirements on urban water supply (Central Highlands Water)
- Advise on mining related sediment impacts on rivers at various mine sites in PNG (Various)
- Develop audit process for bulk water entitlements (Gippsland Water)
- Report on environmental issues associated with stormwater harvesting from urban drains and waterways (Melbourne Water)
- Advise on implications of sea level rise for Gippsland Lakes flooding (Department of Sustainability and Environment, Vic and Water Technology).
- Analyse sediment transport issues associated with proposed dam removal on the Nicholson River (East Gippsland Water)
- Investigate environmental flow requirements for the Gippsland Lakes (West Gippsland Catchment Management Authority)
- Investigate the decline of dissolved oxygen in the Yarra River and develop models to predict DO to allow for timely intervention (eWater CRC and Melbourne Water)
- Provide training on hydrology to Bureau staff (Bureau of Meteorology)
- Advise on environmental flows for the Wingecaribee River (Sydney Water Board)
- Coordinate, develop and teach, Graduate Certificate in River Health Management (University of Melbourne. 2005 – continuing)
- Contribute to Sustainable Rivers Audit, Murray Darling Basin Commission.
- Assess water yield and impacts of extraction for the Weda Bay Nickel project.
- Advise on developing a water research focus for Monash University including collaboration with International Water Centre (Monash University)
- Advise on project “MID 2030: a review of the future of the Macalister Irrigation District” (Southern Rural Water)
- Review lower Goulburn Floodplain management proposals (Goulburn Broken Catchment Management Authority).
- Design and implementation of erosion control works on the Mekong River in Vietnam (AusAID)
- Advise on implications of revisions to Australian Rainfall and Runoff for flood management in Victoria (Department of Sustainability and Environment)
- Review technical aspects of work undertaken as part of flood studies throughout Victoria (Department of Sustainability and Environment)
Principals of Moroka also have extensive board, advisory committee, and auditing experience including:
- Director, Yarra Valley Water (2007-2012)
- Deputy Chair, Yarra Valley Water (2007-2009)
- Director, Southern Rural Water (1995-2001)
- Member, NSW Planning Assessment Commission advising on impacts of underground mine development on water resources values (2008 – 2010)
- Panel Member, Living Murray, Murray Darling Basin Commission. Assessing water saving for the environment (2007 – 2011)
- Member, specialist advisory panel for development of river health management policy for Victorian Department of Sustainability and Environment (2008-2009)
- Director, Greening Australia (Vic) (2010-2012)
- Chair, scientific advisory committee for Red Gum National Parks (Parks Victoria) (2010 – 2012)
- Member, advisory committee for the development of river health assessment procedure for Tasmania (NRM South) (2007-2008)
- Member, steering committee, development of river health assessment methods for ephemeral rivers (Land and Water RDC)
- Auditor, Surface Water Management Audits of mine sites including impacts on rivers for NSW Department of Planning (2008-2009).
- NSW Department of Planning, Surface Water Management Auditor, Wilpinjong Coal, Peabody Energy
- Member of panel for developing a river health strategy for Pennyroyal Creek (Corangamite Catchment Management Authority)
- Member of scientific advisory panel (Department of Sustainability and Environment, Victoria).
- Member of selection panel for environmental auditors (Environmental Protection Authority, Victoria)